Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Beginning of the End: Manu Ginobili

When I was about ten years old my Aunt won an opportunity to be a Spurs Pizza Hut Ball Kid at an auction. I was the oldest kid in the family and probably the only one that would actually enjoy it, so she gave it to me. At first I was excited, but it quickly turned into fear when I was directed to the baseline and two regulation size NBA basketballs were placed in my small chest. The coaches told me I was only allowed to bounce pass it to the players on the three point line. Young and embarrassed, I used all my strength to get a solid three or four bounces before the ball practically rolled to the shooters.

I was about to regret saying yes to this marvelous display of my weakness when Manu Ginobili--El Contusione himself--came from behind, grabbed a ball I was holding and smashed it into the hoop right in front of me with both hands. Every sense of self-consciousness I had, dissipated as he tossed the ball back to me with a friendly grin. I don't remember much from when I was ten years old, but I'll always remember staring in awe of Manu's dunk with my adult size shirt draped down to my knees.

I'm twenty now, and the shirt that reads "I was a spurs pizza hut ball kid" fits me perfectly. Manu is thirty-seven with a beard and a bald spot visible from the nosebleeds. He's not as quick off the dribble and the lush locks that were a staple of 2005 championship are long gone. In interviews, he seems painfully aware of this fact and I sense he's prepared for his illustrious career to come to an end soon. But San Antonio isn't ready-- at least I'm not.

Maybe it would be a little easier to accept if he didn't just hoist the Larry O' Brian trophy above his head for a fourth time as the Spurs dominated the 2014 finals. Maybe if we didn't see him drop the hammer on Chris Bosh in game 5 like he was twenty-eight years old again. Maybe if he didn't feel like a part of the city after twelve years of making us scream "GINOBILIIIII!!!"

I took his loyalty for granted in the seven years after the quick championships of '03, '05 and '07. Now in the 2015 season, I'm going to cherish every three-pointer, no look pass, reverse layup and euro-step the old Argentinian vet gives us. Because I just can't imagine a Spurs team without Manu Ginobili.


No comments:

Post a Comment